Today is a sad day for Malta and our sister island Gozo and its Azure Window. The famous rock which has also made an appearance on the movie Game of Thrones, has now collapsed due to strong winds and stormy weather during this past night.
It-Tieqa (the window) as it has been known with us locals, has always been an iconic attraction, especially with tourists who visit the picturesque Dwejra in Gozo.
But like life and many people, things and circumstances in life, it was here yesterday, and gone today! So this goes to show, that we should always savour the moment, cherish our loved ones and grab any opportunity that comes our way…as one day we might wake up and realise what we had is simply not there anymore.
Yes, it might be sad that this natural landmark is gone, but I have no regrets as, just last Summer, Jürgen and I, even took some pictures I had long been wanting to take…just in time!
Like Mark Twain once said “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
And to all those I bore with my endless picture-taking, please never, ever again ask me why I keep taking all these photos!
What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce. — Karl Lagerfeld
And here are some quotes to reflect on…
- Taking an image, freezing a moment, reveals how rich reality truly is.— Anonymous
- Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.— Aaron Siskind
- The whole point of taking pictures is so that you don’t have to explain things with words. — Elliott Erwitt
- We didn’t realize we were making memories we just knew we were having fun —Winnie the Pooh
- Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. — Theodor Seuss Geisel
- Things end but memories last forever. — Kumar Milan
- Only photograph what you love — Tim Walker
- You never know when you are making a memory. — Rickie Lee Jones
- A picture is worth a thousand words but the memories are priceless. — Unknown